John G. Mackie - Partner
Wine and food, business organization and finance, mergers and acquisitions, real estate development and land use regulation.
Bachelor of Arts, Claremont McKenna College 1970
Juris Doctor, Boalt Hall, University of California, Berkeley 1973
Mr. Mackie began his law career in public service at San Francisco's Department of City Planning. He later worked with the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) on industrial siting and went on to serve in the Governor's Office of Planning and Research. He completed his government tenure as Deputy Secretary of Business, Transportation and Housing for the State of California. In the latter capacity, he served as an ex-officio member of the California Coastal Commission. Mr. Mackie has always had a strong interest in wine and food and served as president of the Berkeley Wine and Food Society and is the proprietor of Mackie Family Wines. He brought this passion into his private law practice, establishing a Wine and Food practice for the firm of Bronson, Bronson & McKinnon in 1990. Mr. Mackie has been a Partner in the law firms of Freytag and LaForce, Bronson, and Marron-Reid. His practice currently emphasizes wine and food law, business organization and finance, mergers and acquisitions, real estate development and land use regulation. Mr. Mackie represents startup companies, corporations, financial institutions, agricultural concerns, food manufacturers and retailers, wineries, suppliers and trade organizations. Mr. Mackie also advises a number of non-profit clients. Mr. Mackie helped to found Carle, Mackie, Power & Ross LLP in 1998, served as its Managing Partner for a number of years and chairs the Transactional Practice Group and the Food and Beverage Group.
Professional and Community Activities
- Founding Board Member and Secretary, North Bay Angels
- Founding Trustee and Secretary, The Oliver Ranch Foundation
- Founding Board Member and President, Sonoma County Food and Wine Center
- Founding Board Member and Secretary, North Bay Food Industry Group
- Trustee and former Treasurer, Sonoma Academy
- Member, International Honors Program Advisory Council
- Member, Community Foundation Sonoma County, Friends Advisory Group
- Member and Volunteer Legal Advisor, Bennett Valley Wine Growers
- General Counsel, Sonoma Land Trust
- Volunteer Legal Advisor, California Artisan Cheese Guild
- Volunteer Legal Advisor, WineVision
- Volunteer Legal Advisor, Sonoma County Culinary Guild
- Volunteer Legal Advisor, Alexander Valley Winegrowers
- Volunteer Legal Advisor, Art Start
- Volunteer Legal Advisor, Habitat for Humanity
- Program Committee, Wine Industry Financial Symposium and Vineyard Economics Seminar
- Former Board Member and Secretary, Alliance for Contemporary Art
- Former Board Member and President, Rincon Valley Charter School Board of Directors
- Former Board Member, Sonoma County Humane Society
- Former Board Member and current Honorary Board Member, Luther Burbank Center for the Arts
- Former Board Member and Vice President, Museum of Contemporary Art at LBC
- Former Board Member, Sonoma County Museum
- Periodic Advisor to Sonoma State University: Wine Business Program, Art on Campus, and Entrepreneurship Program
- Former Director of Companies: Union Rubber, Auntie Pasta, SunnyMac
Co-authored the chapter on the United States for Kluwer Publishing's International Food and Beverage Law.
Authored articles on conservation easements and wine-related contracts.
- Authored “Local Regulations of Wine and Beer Producers in California” Chapter in the Aspatore Volume on Wine and Beer Law.
Selected Speaking Engagements
Sonoma County Society of Management Accountants, speaker on “Venture Financing”
North Bay World Trade Association, organized and moderated panels on International Trade and the American Wine Industry
North Bay Angels, speaker on “Structuring the Deal”
Practical Winery and Vineyards Magazine industry conference, “Growers Rights in Bankruptcy”
Dollar and Sense Conference, Sonoma County Grapegrowers panelist
- Speaker and moderator, Wine Industry Financial Symposium
- Speaker and moderator, Vineyard Economics Seminar
- Speaker and moderator, CA CPA Society, Wine Industry Conference
- Periodic lecturer, Sonoma State University
- Moderator, North Bay Business Journal, “Succession Planning” Seminar
- Speaker on winery and vineyard issues
"The firm commitment to higher standards is the distinguishing characteristic of the quality of legal services we provide".