Rick O'Hare - Associate
Complex Business and Civil Litigation, Intellectual Property, Patent Prosecution
Juris Doctorate, McGeorge School of Law, University of the Pacific, 1987
Dean's List • Traynor Society Member • Academic Achievement Scholarship
Bachelors, Chemistry and Microbiology, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1987
An Attorney since 1993, Mr. O’Hare has substantial experience in complex business litigation, intellectual property procurement, insurance coverage and transactional matters. He has represented Fortune 100 international corporations as well as small businesses, startups and individuals; and has successfully litigated multi-million dollar infringement cases involving technology licensing, Trademarks, Patents, Copyrights and commercial agreements. Mr. O’Hare is also a registered Patent Attorney and provides Intellectual Property protection services to clients of all sizes.
With a double major in Chemistry and Microbiology from the University of California, Santa Barbara, Mr. O’Hare began his professional career working in laboratories at a major oil company. After graduating from law school in 1993, Mr. O’Hare transferred to the company’s law department, working first in the Litigation Unit and then in the Patent Unit. Mr. O’Hare has been in private practice in the North Bay area since 1998. Prior to joining Carle, Mackie, Power & Ross, Mr. O’Hare worked in the California office of the largest law firm on Long Island, NY.
Professional and Community Activities
- Master, Richard Sangster Inn of Court
- Trustee on the Cinnabar School District Board of Trustees since 1998
- Member Sonoma County Bar Association Intellectual Property Group – Committee Chair for 3 years
- Member of the Petaluma Leadership Class of 2009
- Former mentor to startup companies, Sonoma Mountain Business Cluster (now NorthBay iHub);
- Presenter: Trends in Business Formation, Work Petaluma, November 2012
- Presenter: Protecting Your Trade Secrets, Sonoma Mountain Business Cluster, Summer 2012
- Presenter: Intellectual Property Protection for the Startup Company, Sonoma Mountain Business Cluster, “Business Essentials Series”, September 2009
- Author: Selecting a Trademark, North Bay Business Journal, July 2009
- Author: Protecting Intellectual Property Now Top Priority, North Bay Business Journal, 2002
- Author: Protecting Your Trademark Assets, Wine Business Monthly, 2001
- Host: Verdicts and Settlements Roundtables on the Federal Circuit “Festo” decision.
- Lecturer: University of San Francisco’s Community Lecture Series: “Intellectual Property.”
- Lecturer: Santa Rosa Junior College; guest speaker on Intellectual Property Law.
"The firm commitment to higher standards is the distinguishing characteristic of the quality of legal services we provide".